Plenty of streets in Chicago are memorable, but only two are among the “most famous” — on Instagram, at least.
According to a new study from travel and transit website Wanderu, Chicago has two of the most Instagram-famous streets in the United States. The study evaluated the 60 “most populous American cities” and then used Artificial Intelligence tools like ChatGPT to help determine some of the most popular or iconic streets in those places, editors said.
The study also tracked and compiled the number of hashtags associated with each location, the site said.
The final report revealed 20 streets dubbed the “Most Famous Streets According to Instagram,” with Chicago landing on the list twice.
Two streets in Miami, FL Ocean Drive and NW 2nd Avenue, nabbed the list’s top two spots. Chicago’s makes it first appearance at No. 8, with Michigan Avenue.
According to the report, the hashtag “michiganave” was hashtagged at least 353,000 times on Instagram. While that may seem like a high number, Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles and The Strip in Las Vegas each earned a higher number of hashtags.
Chicago’s DuSable Lake Shore Drive landed at No. 18 on the list, with more than 129,000 hashtags.
Here are the streets that landed in the top 10, and the highest number of hashtags associated with each of them:
- Ocean Drive (Miami, FL): #oceandrive
- NW 2nd Avenue (Miami, FL): #wynwoodwalls
- Bourbon Street (New Orleans, LA): #bourbounstreet
- Rodeo Drive (Los Angeles, CA): #rodeodrive
- The Strip (Las Vegas, NV): #thestrip
- Fifth Avenue (New York, NY): #fifthavenue
- Hollywood Boulevard (Los Angeles, CA): #hollywoodblvd
- Michigan Avenue (Chicago, IL): #michiganave
- Lombard Street (San Francisco, CA): #lombardstreet
- Melrose Avenue (Los Angeles, CA): #melroseavenue
The full list of 10 can be found here.
Subscribe to our email newsletter to get the latest posts delivered right to your email.